Published on October 20th, 2017 | from CAMH Education
CAMH Library: Recent Canadian Research for Autism Awareness Month
By Sarah Bonato, Reference/Research Librarian, CAMH Library
October is Autism Awareness Month! The goal is to raise awareness and promote the importance of learning more about Autism Spectrum Disorder. See below for recent Canadian research on the disorder.
Access Barriers to Services by Immigrant Mothers of Children with Autism in Canada, by Khanlou N., Haque N., Mustafa N., Vazquez L.M., Mantini A., Weiss J.
From the International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction 2017;15(2):239-259
- This article addresses the need for more equal access to services.
Access at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28424567
Environmental Factors Associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A scoping review for the years 2003-2013, by Ng M., de Montigny J.G., Ofner M., Do M.T.
From Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention in Canada: Research, Policy and Practice 2017 Jan;37(1):1-23.
- This article discusses environmental factors and Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Access at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28102992
Priority Service Needs and Receipt Across the Lifespan for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder, by Lai J.K.Y., Weiss J.A.
From Autism Research 2017 Aug;10(8):1436-1447
- This article identifies the priority needs of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder across the lifespan.
Access at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28383156
Approach to Autism Spectrum Disorder: Using the new DSM-V Diagnostic Criteria and the CanMEDS-FM framework, by Lee P.F., Thomas R.E., Lee P.A.
- Reviews the DSM-V diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder and has info on the CanMEDS-FM framework for the complex management of ASD.
Access at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25971758
A Qualitative Study of Autism Policy in Canada: Seeking Consensus on Children’s Services, by Shepherd C.A., Waddell C.
From Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
- This article discusses the debate on how to improve services for children with Autisim Spectrum Disorder.
Access at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26105592